A Travellerspoint blog

Roma roma roma

Rome if you want to, Rome around the world

Switzerland was incredible and we were really sad to say goodbye but it was a good goodbye because we were heading for ROMA!! Well our last day in Switzerland was interesting. We spent it in Bern which is the capital. Upon a recomendation we went to the Rosegarden. It was probably the best idea we pursued. The view was gorgeous and it was fun to people watch. And of course the flowers were beautiful. I took lots of pictures for grandma. The rodies were blooming and the place smelled fantastic. Then we made our way up to the top of Gruten which is a hill overlooking the city. We went in the middle of a storm which sucked cause we couldnt really see the view but it was amazing to sit and watch the lightning and thunder. Ahh it was crazy. Then we had some free time and so we found some cheap food (yes, I had a hotdog and yes it was disgusting and the bread was too hard). We met two Korean girls heading on the night train as well and they were in the same car as us but not the same compartment. Well we headed out and the compartment was full of 4 girls. So totally not the experience as before. It was nice and we talked for a long time. Our train was 10 hrs long and they were getting off in Rome as well. I slept pretty darn well actually. I think last time it was just the fear of Hassan watching me sleep (Creepy!!!!!!). Anyway, we got here in Rome (Roma in Italian) and we checked into our hostel and then the girl here told us that there was a really good American tour guide giving a tour of the Vatican. So we got the information and headed over there. We had a great time walking around the area and there was a little saturday market type thing which was really cool!!! And we bought candied mandrain oranges which I have yet to try :( but we will see how good it is. OMG Two words... Dehydrated KIWIS!!!!!!! sooooo gooooddddd. OMG it was amazing. Then we went and got real gelato which was perfect for how incredibly hot it was today. It reached probably 95 not exagerating it was soooooo hot!!! I even asked at the desk how hot it was today and they said about 35 celsius so I just converted it and that is 95. I am pretty sure my face is burned cause I am warm just sitting here. Anyway, we got to see all of Vatican city for a really cheap priced tour which was good. He is from Louisianna and so we could understand everything he said, no translations needed :)
Well I cant talk too much cause this internet is free and there is a line but it IS free and there is a USB port so I can upload more pictures hopefully.
love you all

Miss Mary

Posted by missmary88 11:14 Archived in Italy Comments (1)

Disater might have struck

dont worry too much

First off, sorry for not writing sooner. The internet in Paris was free but not that great and we didn't have time to find a cheap cafe. We made it to Paris easy enough. I feel asleep on the chunnel and woke up in France which was pretty cool. Oh just a heads up, the z and y buttons are switched on this keyboard so bear with me ok? thanks!
Anywaz, we got to Paris and spent the day walking around and just checking the citz out. We managed to climb another staircase this time 800 or so total up to Notre Dome and back down. It was worth it. The whole time I felt like Quasimodo(spelling?). Anzwaz that was great and then we went on a boat tour that came with our Paris pass. So the day passed super fast. Then we went out to a creperie and met a girl, Julia, that was staying at the same hostel as us. She is from Germany and super cool. We played cards and then headed to bed. That night we both slept like rocks!! Our Aussie friends kept us up the night before although it was a good thing, it wore us out. The next morning I woke up really not feeling well and we had planned to go to Versaille with Julia. Well I didnt get anybetter over the course of and hour or so and I let Julia take my pass for the train and let them go while I slept it off. When I woke up, I felt much better and was ready to start the day. Tia and I went to Moulin Rouge and Sacre Couer in the afternoon-evening where we got caught in a HUGE rain storm! We had bought food for dinner but stopped to get a Nutella crepe, best money I spent in Paris!!! So that was the end of our second day and I really didnt feel much like I had spent a lot of time actually in Paris. Well that night, I saw a lot of weird things. It was super hot in our room when we got back so I changed into shorts and a t-shirt. Then I was leaning out the window well there is like a walkway to the other rooms right there. And some prettz drunk guys were in a room close bz. They were getting ready for bed and one came out in just a t-shirt and underwear... that was interesting cause he was trying to talk to me but he was brushing his teeth lol. Then another one came out fully dressed but I scared him and he ended up talking to me for a bit but going to be also. Finally, a guy with a long blonde pony tail came out brushing his teeth in just underwear!!!! He said hi and I was trying not to laugh while I said hi back. When I looked over, there was an Italian a couple rooms down laughing at my expression... lol. Anyway, that was a weird experience. When we got up, we checked out and went down stairs to find another Portlander. We talked to him for a bit and then headed to the Arce de Triumph. After that we went to the Louvre and saw the ever famous Mona Lisa and Aphrodite(Spelling?) Then we left and went to musee de Orsay. That was amazing!!! We saw so many incredible impressionist works of art. It was just amazing. After that, we wandered around for awhile and then headed for the train station. We had a night train bound for Milan that left at 8:30pm. We got on the train no big deal. The other two guys in our compartment were nice one was from Moroco and the other from Egypt. Well it just so happens that the Morocan took a fancy to me... creepy!!! At first he was being really funny and had all of us laughing but then he kept talking about kissing and asking me in french why I wasnt married. Then when we were going to bed he told me (in everyway possible in french) that he loved me!!!!! AHHHHH so creepy. Well he kinda got the clue I think that I wasnt interested cause he backed off in the morning time. And we went our seperate ways. We had some time to kill before our train to Spieze so we just kinda hung out at the Milan train station. Then we left for Switzerland and got to talking to a couple across from us that were from the US, LA! So they actuallz knew where Oregon was... lol. Anzwaz, we got off at Spieze and had to catch a train to Interlaken. We were trzing to figure out thier train system but we finallz got the hang of it. We went to see if we needed to buy tickets or if our Eurail pass covered it. Anyway at some point Tia put her bag down. And we left to go get on the train. Now I swear she had it with her when we left the ticket office and she set it down on the pavement but she sees it the other way. Anzwaz, we got on the train and she realized she didnt have it. So we got off at the first stop and headed back but we couldnt find it and no one had turned it in. We gave the station our information of where we are staying praying that something happens to where they find it. We checked just about an hour ago and nothing but Tia is also going to enter it as a missing item on the train website and maybe they will find it on the train we were on and we would have to go pick it up. We are trying to figure out what to do now. The American Embassy is in our next stop Bern so that is good. But for now, I am paying for everything and Switzerland food is not cheap and our hostel which is more like a hotel (prettz much like the hostel in the movie Hostel) doesnt have a guest kitchen so we have to eat out. Tia and I bought fresh strawberries, a rasberry tart each and two things of chocolate yougurt (which is not as good as it sounds!l lol) to tie us over until a later time. Anzwaz, it is just getting to the time here where we can call our parents and tell them of the situation and what we think we should do about it ö. So we are going to figure it out. Please pray for us but dont worry too much. We will figure something out and it will be ok. Tia just has to decided wether to do something now or wait for her bag to show up. But it is going to be interesting none the less.
Love you all,
Miss mary

p.s wish I could write more but I will tell all the details of wonderful paris when I get back. Love and miss you all!!

Posted by missmary88 08:51 Archived in Switzerland Comments (3)

Sad news

View Europe on missmary88's travel map.

Ok before I get to the sad news, I will tell you about our day yesterday. We woke up and made our way over to St. Paul's Cathedral. It was incredible. We decided to go up to the top (a very scary thought for me). In total it was 371 steps up, and then 371 down!!! What happens is you go up 259 stairs to the upper level of the dome. It is beautiful and they wouldn't allow pictures so we have none of the inside but a ton of the outside hahaha. Anyway there is a bench around the whole dome so when we got up there I sat down cause I was freakin out due to the height of it. Not sure how high but the checkered flooring below is down right dizzying!! Ugh! So then we couldn't find the way down so we went through the door that everyone else was. Little did we know that it took us up even higher!!! We ended up being outside of the dome!!!! The view was incredible but completly terrifying! AHHHH. lol After we got down from there, we had planned to go see the changing of the guard. So we headed that way. When we got there we thought that there must be something more going on, there was at least 1,000 people there. We asked and I guess there is about that many people everyday to watch it. So we asked a police officer where the best spot was and what time we should get there for today (sunday). He told us to be there about an hour early cause Sunday's are the busiest.
From there, we were off towards the Tower of London. So we picked a wonderful weekend to be here in London, they are doing a TON of construction on the underground so all but like two lines are closed. Every single line going to Tower Hill (the stop for Tower of London) was not running! So feeling brave, we decided to walk it (it couldn't be that far right?). In all, it was about an hour and 45 min walk. YIKES!!! On top of all those stairs we did earlier!! We were to say the least sore! When we finally got to the tower, we went on a guided tour which was pretty interesting but really time consuming as we had other plans. So we quickly went to see the crown jewels and the torture devices and then were on our way for afternoon tea. Unfortunately we didn't make it to tea on time (sorry Grammy I tried). Afterwords, we were hungry, tired, and sore. We walked around for a bit and then headed back towards our hostel. We wanted to go to a pub for dinner cause Tia wanted fish and chips (usually only found in pubs). But we got back to the room and just kinda sat there... lol. After a few minutes or so two new "roommates" came in. They are from Canada, Rob and Mary (hehehe). They wanted to go to a pub so we were going to head out when the other two new "roommates" came in. Byron and Henry. Byron is from Toronto same as the other two and Henry is from Argentina. They met at school in France and are traveling together all around. Rob and Mary are traveling in kinda a reverse circle of ours. But we will be in Rome the same days as them so that is kinda exciting we may see them again :) so we asked the other two guys if they wanted to go and we headed out. We seriously couldn't find any pubs for the longest time. And when we did find one, it didn't serve food passed 3pm. So Byron and Henry went to this asian buffet thing with plans to meet back at the first pub. So we continued on and found a pretty cute little place and they all got their fish and chips while I got a chicken fillet burger (which I wasn't sure whether to use my fork and knife to cut up or eat with my hands, I chose hands lol). We ended up meeting the guys back at the hostel. I did a little laundry and then passed out. I was soooooo tired!!!! Tia said I must have been out cause I was snoring :(
Anyway, this morning we figured it was probably a good idea to go get our tickets for the train over to Paris. We went and the guy told us we had to pay £178 which is extremly high but he said the train on Tuesday is £58. Sooo, we had to make a decision and we decided on the Tuesday one. So we had to go back to the hostel and get another night there plus call the Paris hostel and cancel for tonight. We were pretty sure their policy was 24hr cancelation so we thought we were all good but when Tia called they said 48 so we had to pay for the night we are missing but still, even with the extra night in London and that night in Paris, we are saving more than taking the £178 train. The only bad thing is that our train leaves at 5:25am so we have to be at the station at 5:00am :(
UGH! I hope this wont happen again. And I am really bummed cause I wanted to go to Paris more than any other and we are only staying 3 days as is and the Louvre pretty much takes up a day. So that means we have to do everything else in a day. And I am not happy about that. I am actually super sad. But Tia doesn't really mind cause Paris is her least favorite stop. So I am trying not to be too depressed about it. Anyway, I only have ten min left on the timmer so I am going to try to put a few pics up. Check em out!
Love to all,
Miss mary

Posted by missmary88 04:58 Archived in England Comments (0)

Pretty non stop

View Europe on missmary88's travel map.

So yesterday morning Tia and I had planned to wake up at 9 for breakfast and then get ready afterwords and decided what to do. Well, at breakfast we met two Canadians, Josh and Veronica (but in french). They are from Ottawa, anyway, we got to talking and they are both in a really good choir and they work at a HUGE theatre where they are ushers. So I had a lot of things in common with them to start off with. Then we started talking about plays and brodway shows and it was amazing!!! YEAH!! Anyway, they invited us to go to Westminster Abbey and Hampton court with them. We gladly agreed and went to go get ready. When we came back, Kylie the Aussie, joined our little group and Heather, another Canadian from BC rather than Ottowa, shortly became numero 6. So we headed out towards the undergroud (which is totally insane by the way! It covers the entire city pretty much with about 10 different lines!!!!) Then we got on an actual train to Hampton and when we got there I almost peed my pants. The place was incredible!!! If you don't know, Hampton Court is where Henry VIII lived. I cannot even explain to you how incredible it was. If you have seen Pride and Prejudice, Darcy's house is as close as I can come to expressing the beauty of the gardens. And the house itself was just amazing. We got to see people dressed up as characters from that time including Henry himself!! There was a maze and just some incredible stuff. Pictures to come ( now that we found an awesome internet cafe with fast internet and usb ports!!! :) I should be posting some to facebook and here shortly!)
So then we headed back and while on the train, Josh convinced us all to go to see the broadway play '' Spring Awakening" best £20 spent yet!!! There was this like special code thing "Put me in the chair of rock" or " I am the guilty one" and you can get seats for really cheap!!! And get this... we were in the FRONT ROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG it was soooo intense. This one part, the lead role (who is pretty gorgeous if I do say so myself) was on his stomach and singing to the audience, he look dead straight into Tia's eyes and like locked eyes with her for like a minute!!! I was pretty jealous, ok, I still am!! lol. He reminded me a lot of a guy from school brian but I don't think brian is attractive, just his mannerisms where like him. He looked like Elijah Wood a little bit. Anyway, the play was incredible. I doubt anyone reading this blog would appreciate it though... quite a bit of cursing and a little nudity and some very adult themes. But it was soo amazing and I love theatre no matter the content. I figure I am an adult, I can handle that stuff and be mature about it. But seriously even with all that it was one of the greatest shows I have seen. So afterwords, Josh had to leave to go back to the hostel cause he was leaving for Paris this morning at like 4:30 or something. Then it was all of us girls and we went and hung out and it was great. Didn't get back to the hostel until like 12:30 so I was pretty tired but it was such an amazing day. I am really glad we met the other guys.
Then this morning, Tia and I went to breakfast and decided we should go buy our tickets for Romeo and Juliet which we were going to see with Vero tonight BUT when we got there, there was only a 2pm showing of it and the other night play was something else. So we just bought our tickets for Sunday night instead. Which will be our last night in London so that will be awesome to get to finish off with that. After getting our tickets, we had passed Tate Modern on the way in, so we decided to go there. All the museums in London are free admisions expect for a few, which is nice and then our pass gets us extra stuff, like we got the audio guides for free. :) It was incredible, I got to see Claude Monet's Water Lilleys LIVE!!!!!!! Like the actual painting, not just the pictures or the postcards with it on!! I loved it. There were however those few art peices that you question whether it is even art and who is the one to decide. Tia and I had a good discussion on that topic as we passed things such as thick rope laying around on the floor... and burlap sacks, and some other stupid things that I could have put in there and been famous for. So that made me a little bit upset. But it was really neat to see painters that I knew and recognize peices I studied before! yeah!
So then we weren't really sure what we were going to do with the rest of our day and we settled on Tower of London which was a bit of a walk so we headed off trying to find food along the way ;) It was getting close to the closing time when we came upon the Royal National Theatre. Which in our pass says we get a relly cool tour for free. So we went in to check it out and the next tour was at 5:30 (an hour and a half away) so we went for it, one of our best decisions. The tour was amazing!!!! We were the only two on it so it was extremly personal. And we got to go back stage and see where they make the sets (which are gynormous!!!!!) We also got to go on the set!!!!!!! And see two directors and a bunch of the actors warming up. So I was pretty much in heaven tehe. Then we came back to the hostel and stopped at a Tesco express which is a really really cheap grocery store (actually the only kind of grocery store I have seen). They are about the size of most 7-11's but all groceries and the one by the hostel is 24 hrs. not sure if all of them are though? So we bought food and came back to cook it and chill.
After dinner I convinced Tia to come with me to try to find a phone to call home (which didn't end up working, sadly) and then we walked around and found this internet cafe which is open till 11pm and they charge the same exact as the hostel! Which is semi expensive but the internet at the hostel is SOOOOOOOOO SLOW!!!!! And you can't get to the usb ports so that just plain sucks cause I can't upload my pics! :( But we will be coming back here I am sure! So we can upload at least some of our pics. Sorry that is a lot but so much has happened and I still don't really feel like we are in London. It started to hit me today when we were walking along the peir and saw Big Ben across the river (our first sighting of it). So it is goodbye for now but not forever ;)


P.s Mom I am dissappointed in you, you didn't write back to my e-mail but you wrote back to my blog! I personally wrote you an e-mail and the blog is for everyone and then you just reply to the big one? Thanks! lol jk but I really was surprised that you didn't write me back! Don't worry, I still love you and we are being safe! I PROMISE! ;)

Posted by missmary88 13:34 Archived in England Comments (1)

The Longest Day of My Life


View Europe on missmary88's travel map.

This trip started off ok but I only got 5 hours sleep the night prior to leaving so that is not too good. But we got to PDX way early and had no troubles, everthing went smoothly. Our flight to Chicago was really good, we had one of the best pilots I have ever flown with. We had some pretty bad turbulence landing though, which was a first for me ;)
Anyway, you might be asking why this day was sooo bad??? Well (sorry boys who are reading this) about 2 hours into my glorious flight, my favorite bra decided to go against me. The wire broke in two places and caused me GREAT pain all the way to London!!! So I was in pain and I was exhausted. Tia and I had decided not to sleep until our flight to Londong so when I tried dozing off she gently nudged me to wake me up. We made it to our gate change in enough time to snap a few pics and board. The flight was forever!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, I got so restless. But it was awesome because we got a full dinner served and a light breakfast. We both tried to sleep but it didn't work out too well. Finally around 3 or so London time we got to sleep for like an hour. Then we landed around 7:45am in Londong Heathrow. First thing we did was exchange money and because of this, we were behind the rest of the flight. We made it through customs but the guy was a TOTAL BUTT HEAD!!! He was so rude. Anyway, we made our way to baggage claim and Tia found her bag. Mine however was nowhere to be seen! Of course I freaked out. But the guy (such a cute little old English man!!) said that someone probably took my bag by accident and to leave my contact info. So that TOTALLY sucked to be in a foreign country and not have ALL my possesions with me! Anyway, they said that if they got it they would deliver it to my hostel. So Tia and I left to go on the "tube" well we get 4 stops from our destination and the train stops.... ugh. One more obstacle in our way. So we decided to walk to the next station up and go on a different route. The other stop took us forever to find. When we did find it, we got on and the got off and switched lines again and then got off and then finally made it to our hostel with a little difficulty!! Anyway that is a very very short version of what happened! And we basically just walked around looking and doing a few things here and there. We went to two museums, the Cartoon Museum and the Winchester Arch museum which was awesome!!!! Anyway, we went to a movie and we both feel asleep off and on over the course of the movie so we came back here and was going to go to bed but decided to come online for a bit and I checked and my bag was here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I seriously almost cried I was sooo happy. I feel like all is well in the world again!!!

Posted by missmary88 13:12 Archived in England Comments (2)

(Entries 6 - 10 of 17) « Page 1 [2] 3 4 »